Thursday, January 10, 2013

Balancing Act

Last September, I suffered a football injury to my leg that had me in a cast for 2 months. Since then, I have been in an intense physical therapy program, trying to get back to my normal sports-playing self. One of the exercises I do in the pool works to improve my balance and requires me to keep my balance by placing one foot in front of the other as I walk across the pool to the opposite side and back again. Much like a sobriety test, my objective is to use my balance in order to keep my feet on the solid black line on pool floor.
I have never been good at balancing, so I already knew this would be a challenge, but the challenge on land is nothing in comparison to being in the pool. In the water, you are combating waves being made my others in the pool, and your increased buoyancy from the chlorine in the water adds another challenge to staying balanced. So as I began my first steps on the line, I focused my attention to the black line at the bottom of the pool, but it was hard because the moving water kept giving off the illusion that the line was moving. The harder I tried to concentrate on that line, the harder it became to keep my balance. Finally, after my third lap, I became extremely dizzy to the point that it was impossible to continue staring down at the line. Instead, I began to direct my focus toward my destination on the other side of the pool.  Suddenly I heard my therapist say, “You’re starting to get the hang of it.” Sure enough, I managed to walk halfway across the pool in a straight line without losing my balance.
It was at that moment that it dawned on me how little I accomplish when I try so hard to control something that is beyond my control. The harder I try, the dizzier and more off-balance I become. The moment I elevate my focus to my destination and ignore the opposition surrounding me, the task becomes so much easier to manage. In the water, focusing on my goal seemed to produce a sense of calm in my mind. I began to relax because I could no longer see or feel the waves threatening to push me off-track. Finally, all I could see was the progress I was making.
That experience taught me how to approach every challenge in my life. I may not be where I want to be financially, spiritually or otherwise, but I know that if I keep my focus on positive things and keep looking ahead, I will remain encouraged. Keeping my head lifted in the face of adversity reminds me of where my help comes from. It removes my pride and self-reliance when I look up and understand that no matter how hard I try or how good I think I am, my ability to move forward is by no strength of my own but by a God who loves me unconditionally and possesses complete power.  When I remove my pride from difficult situations, I feel less pressure and less self-conscious. I learn better. I take criticism better. I expect fewer congratulations when I do well and I don’t beat myself up when I fail. When everything is placed in the proper perspective, the balancing act becomes easier each step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment